Guidelines for Photography, Recording, and Filming
Photography for personal use only is permitted at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, subject to the following limitations:
- Use of the Museum’s buildings, grounds, locomotives, railroad cars, or exhibits as backdrops, as well as any models or actors, for photography sessions or staged photo shoots, whether for recreational or professional purposes, for such activities as wedding photos, graduation photos, or family photos, requires the Museum’s approval in advance.
- Requests must include: (1) a description of the photography, recording, or filming work to be performed on the premises and (2) the completion of a Location Release Form, which must be signed by all parties.
- The photographer must pay any applicable admission fees. If the photographer is a member of the Friends of the Railroad Museum (FRM), he or she must show a valid membership card to be admitted free. However, they will be required to pay admission fees for any models or actors, any photo subject(s), or anyone else accompanying them on the property (who is not included with their membership card).
- No photography may interfere with the normal flow of visitors or business at the Museum, with the enjoyment or safety of the Museum’s visitors, contractors, staff, or volunteers, or with the Museum’s artifacts, exhibits, or property.
- No climbing on any of our locomotives, railroad cars, or exhibits, unless expressly permitted to do so. Likewise, all the Museum’s rules and regulations must be followed at all times.
- The use of flash photography may be prohibited in certain parts of the Museum, such as the Museum’s second-floor art gallery. Signs will alert visitors to where flash photography is not permitted.
- The Museum reserves the right to limit the use of certain kinds of cameras, flashes, tripods, external lighting devices, or other related equipment inside our locomotives, railroad cars, and exhibits.
- The use of drones on Museum property, either inside/outside the Museum building or on Museum grounds, is prohibited without the written approval of the Museum Director.
All commercial photography, recording, or filming work requires the written approval of the Museum Director in advance of any photo shoot, recording session, or film shoot on the premises. Where appropriate, credit should be given to the museum, “Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania” and its administrator “Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission.”
Members of the media are encouraged to notify the Museum in advance of your visit.
During your visit, you may be filmed, videotaped, and/or photographed by a Museum staff member, volunteer, or contract photographer. Your attendance serves as permission for the use of your image by the Museum for strictly promotional or marketing purposes.
Revised December 2022