2023 Events Announced
The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania has announced its preliminary lineup of special events and Rambles for 2023. Mark your calendar for:
- Reading on the Rails: Saturday, March 11. Special guest readers share stories about trains, railroads and other amazing people, places and things during this family-friendly event.
- Charter Day: Sunday, March 12. Recognition of the 342nd birthday of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with free Museum admission.
- Rails & Ales: Saturday, April 1. Sixth annual craft beer tasting event among the Museum’s historic trains in Rolling Stock Hall. Buy tickets here.
- Buckeye Ramble: Tuesday, June 13 to Friday, June 16. Customized trip to the neighboring state of Ohio. Download the brochure and registration form here. The deadline for registration is March 1.
- Riding The Scenic Rails of Norway Ramble: Saturday, June 24 to Sunday, July 2. Customized trip to the scenic Scandinavian country. Download the brochure and registration form here. The deadline for registration is March 21.
- Reading Railroad Days: June 28 to July 2 and July 5 to 8. Event highlights the historic Reading Railroad with an enormous, detailed HO scale model train layout of the Reading Railroad, operated by members of the Reading Company Technical & Historical Society. Visitors also may view Reading Company equipment from the Museum’s premier collection.
- Barons & Builders Summer Day Camp, for ages 9 and 10: Tuesday, July 11 to Friday, July 14. Campers develop new skills, make friends and have fun when they explore the Museum’s historic railroad equipment on special guided tours, view the Museum’s collections treasures, learn about careers in railroading and collaborate with other campers to solve challenges.
- Barons & Builders Summer Day Camp, for ages 11 and 12: Tuesday, July 25 to Friday, July 28. Campers develop new skills, make friends and have fun when they explore the Museum’s historic railroad equipment on special guided tours, view the Museum’s collections treasures, learn about careers in railroading and collaborate with other campers to solve challenges.
- Model Railroading Days: Friday, August 18, Saturday, August 19 and Sunday, August 20. The world of model trains in action with operating layouts and static displays from a variety of different participating groups and clubs.
- Railroad Heritage Day: Saturday, September 9. Event focusing on the nation’s heritage of railroading, with special displays, presentations and tours.
- Members Day: Saturday, September 30. The annual meeting of the membership of the nonprofit Friends of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, with special presentations, guest speakers and an evening banquet recognizing members and volunteers.
- Garden Railways Tour: Sunday, October 1. An exclusive, self-guided tour of operating model trains in various outdoor and garden settings, a train fun family outing for all ages.
- Trains & Treats: Saturday, October 21. Visiting children tour historic locomotives, railroad cars and interactive exhibits and pick up a treat bag to fill along the way.
- Trains & Troops: Saturday, November 4 and Sunday, November 5. The Museum’s annual tribute to the men and women of the Armed Services and American railroading, with military, railroading and homefront displays, patriotic music and living history re-enactors.
- 1940s Swing Dance: Saturday, November 4. A toe-tapping tribute to the Greatest Generation featuring the fantastic Moonlighters big band playing live among the historic trains in the Museum’s Rolling Stock Hall.
- Home for the Holidays: Saturday, December 2 and Saturday, December 9. A nostalgic look back at railroading’s holiday past with festive decorations, Yuletide music, costumed interpreters and Santa himself.
Additional events like sensory hours, virtual programs, railroading merit badge workshops, artists-in-residence, movie nights and Rambles will be scheduled. Check the Museum’s website, follow on social media or join the email list to stay up-to-date on the latest activities and when tickets or registrations become available. Event sponsorships are available!